Transfer FAQs

Who is considered a transfer student?
A transfer student is anyone who has completed at least one full-time semester of coursework at another college or university after graduating from high school.

What are the Transfer Credit Policies?
A maximum of 70 credits will be accepted from a two-year institution and a maximum of 90 credits will be accepted from a four-year institution. A minimum of 30 credits must be completed at Dominican College in order for a degree to be awarded. See our Articulation Agreements to learn more.

Why was I asked to submit my High School transcript?
All students who have completed under 30 college credits are required to submit Official High School transcripts. In some cases we may also require SAT or ACT scores.

Do I need to take Placements Exams prior to registering for classes?
Yes. It is required for ALL transfer students to complete the English placement exam. The Math placement exam must be completed if required by your program. Note: ALL Nursing students are required to complete both the Math & English placement exams.

When can I visit Dominican College?
We will be happy to schedule a convenient time for you to visit Dominican College. Tours are usually given weekdays and some Saturdays, by appointment. Also, you can attend our Fall and Spring Open Houses. And, you can always reach us toll free at 1-(866) 4DC-INFO.

Do you provide tutoring services?
Yes. Our Learning Resources Center can set you up with a faculty or peer tutor for help in getting started on an assignment, editing a paper, math tutoring, and other academic support services.

Does the College offer transfer scholarships?
All full time transfer students are eligible for a scholarship based on the GPA at their prior institution(s). Please contact our Office of Admissions (1-866-4DC-INFO) to find out about your academic award eligibility. Athletic awards are given through the Athletics office by the coaches and the Director of Athletics. 98% of our students receive some type of Financial Aid.

Are other forms of Financial Aid available?
Dominican College offers need-based grants. In addition, the College participates in federal and New York State financial aid programs.

Do you offer Housing for Transfer students?
Yes, full time transfer students are entitled to housing. Please call our Office of Admissions at 1-866-4DC-INFO for more information and to be connected to the Residence Life Department

What are the costs of Tuition / Room and Board?
Currently undergraduate tuition for full time students (enrolled in 12 credits or more) is $14,070 per semester. If enrolled part time (in fewer than 12 credits) tuition is $851 per credit. Cost of Room and Board varies based on a variety of factors. Please call our Office of Admissions at 1-866-4DC-INFO for the latest information.

Do you offer Internship opportunities?
Yes. Some majors will allow you to do an internship as early as sophomore year. You will work with your academic advisor and the Career Development Center to set up your internship.

How do I know when my application is complete?
A Transfer Admissions Counselor will be in touch with you early on in the admissions & enrollment process. Students are contacted by e-mail, telephone and regular mail. We will let you know as soon as your file is complete. You can also check your status on the DC Portal using your Dominican College ID number.

Do you have support services specifically for transfer students?
Yes, our Transfer Counselors, Rob Tyrrell and Michelle Wendt are located in Doyle Hall. They can be contacted at any time to answer transfer related questions and to help create a smooth transition to Dominican College.

Rob Tyrrell

Michelle Wendt

Are services available for students with special needs?
Yes. We have a Coordinator of Special Services who can set up accommodations / arrangements for students who have special needs.

What is the history of the College?
Dominican is a College with catholic tradition founded by the Dominican Sisters of Blauvelt in 1952. We have grown to offer over 30 undergraduate and graduate programs and a doctoral program.