Dominican College’s program in Computer Information Systems will qualify you for career positions in the rapidly growing Information Technology sector.
As a CIS student you will:
- Acquire training and experience in CIS labs that are equipped with commercial grade hardware and software. The training you revive is real, current and market driven
- Work with real Web servers, network servers, database servers, HP network switches and routers
- Gain real-world experience through professional internships and through interactions with the College’s IT department
The Dominican College Advantage
Dominican College has merged the college’s Information Technology department with the Academic CIS department. As a result, you’ll have access to both faculty and IT department professionals as you complete your degree. Moreover, this relationship between departments helps to ensure that your instructors have current skills and are always on top of the latest IT advances.
You can choose from one of the following concentrations:
- Software Development: Offers advanced programming courses, training in two programming languages, Database SQL Programming and two elective courses.
- Technology Support: Provides you with the skill to manage, maintain and support hardware and networks.
- Data Analysis (MIS): Trains you to manage various databases, generate reports, and analyze the data to produce meaningful reports.
Each concentration has been developed to provide the hands-on skills that hiring manager’s want.
Summary of Requirements
The Computer Information Systems program consists of a minimum of 120 credits, distributed as follows:
- 60 credits of Liberal Arts
- 30 credits in Business Core
- 6 credits of electives
- 1-credit Freshman Seminar (day students only)
- CIS Program, 33 total credits
- Programming Language 1 (C#)
- Systems Analysis and Design
- Business Data Communications
- Window Server Operating Systems
- Database Organization and Systems
- Applied Software Development Project.
Concentration in Software Development:
- Programming Language 2 (C#)
- Second Programming 1 Language (VB or JAVA)
- Applied Database SQL Programming
- Two CIS Free Electives
Concentration in Technology Support:
- Technology Hardware 1
- Network Technology 1
- Free elective, recommend Technology Hardware 2 or Network Technology 2
- Two CIS Free Elective, recommend Help Desk Management course
Concentration in Data Analysis (MIS):
- PC applications for managers
- Microsoft Excel for Business Applications
- Free elective, recommend: Applied Database SQL Programming
- Two CIS Free Electives
Dominican College has received specialized accreditation for its business programs through the International Accreditation Council for Business Education (IACBE), located at 11374 Strang Line Road in Lenexa, Kansas, USA. The business programs in the following degrees are accredited by the IACBE:
- Master of Business Administration with concentrations in Accounting, Healthcare Management and Management.
- Bachelor of Science degree with majors in Accounting, Computer Information Systems, and Management (specializations in Financial Management, International Management, Management Information Systems and Marketing Management).